Hong Kong — Chinese tennis starAlmost 20 days after global concern and silence that she may have been detained. However, images showing Peng over the weekend seem to have eased her fears of safety that began when she disappeared from public after being accused of sexually assaulting one of the former top leaders of the Chinese Communist Party. Does not look like.
As CBS News correspondent Ramy Inocencio reports, Peng’s first real-time contact with the outside world in almost three weeks was in the form of a video call with President Thomas Bach of the International Olympic Committee over the weekend. After a 30-minute phone call, Penn assured Bach that he was “safe and energetic,” according to the IOC.
The IOC released only one still image from the video chat, showing that Peng was smiling and said she was at home in Beijing and wanted to respect her privacy.
It forcedly referenced the date of November 21, and was the editor of the Chinese Global Times tabloid after a seemingly scripted and stage-managed pen video was released over the weekend with a tennis coach. Posted by on Twitter. Close cooperation with the ruling Communist Party. There were also some videos of her waving to the audience at the China Open on Sunday morning and some pictures of Peng playing with a cat.
All new images appear to show Peng over the weekend, but further question whether she was forced to act.
On November 2, the 35-year-old former Wimbledon and the French Open doubled the champion, who is also a three-time Olympic athlete, and made former Deputy Prime Minister Zhang Gaoli, a close ally of Chinese President Xi Jinping, sex for about three years. Publicly accused of coercion. in front.
The four-paragraph note that Peng’s posted on the Chinese social media platform Weibo was quickly deleted. All references to her name were censored online in China until Sunday.
The e-mail allegedly sent by Peng to the head of the Women’s Tennis Association (WTA) was broadcast on the Chinese mass media and withdrawn altogether. The author writes: “The allegations of sexual assault are not true. I am neither missing nor safe. I am just resting at home and everything is fine.”
WTA boss Steve Simon, to whom the letter was addressed, received little comfort from the email, saying it only raised “concerns about her safety and whereabouts.”
“It’s hard to believe that Peng Shuai actually wrote the email we received or believed it was her fault,” he said last week.
Following Peng’s video chat with the IOC’s boss over the weekend, Emma Teruho, chairman of the Olympic Committee’s Athletes Committee, said in a statement, “Seeing Peng Shuai doing well. Rest assured. This was our main concern. She seemed relaxed. I would like to provide her with our support and keep in touch at her convenience. She was clearly grateful. “
However, the WTA, which, along with the United States and the United Nations, demanded evidence of Peng’s well-being and investigation of allegations of sexual assault, showed that private video chat with Peng’s IOC could not alleviate concerns. The organization repeated previous calls for a complete and transparent investigation into both Peng’s situation and her allegations of assault “without censorship.”
Isaac Stone Fish, a Chinese risk analyst and contributor to CBS News, was also unconvinced and questioned whether the IOC was willing to participate as a third-hand conveyor for information.
“It’s certainly pretty suspicious,” Stonefish told CBS News. “The International Olympic Committee, known for its close relationship with Beijing, [the] Suspicion of video chat with Peng, in contrast to the much more critical Women’s Tennis Association. ”
The Winter Olympics in Beijing will begin on February 4, just a few months later. The United States and other Western nations have refused to send high-ranking officials to attend the opening ceremony and have already made it clear that the Olympics can be officially boycotted.
The WTA has threatened to withdraw a large contract with China to hold a championship in China until 2028. WTA Chief Simon said last week that the organization was ready to sacrifice an agreement with China. Value — If Peng’s status has not been fully validated.
At the very least, the answer to the question “#WhereisPengShuai?”, Which is used as a hashtag on social media, is at least in the world.
It was unclear on Monday whether Beijing would investigate Peng’s sexual assault charges by Communist Party officials. This is the most widespread claim of China’s “Me Too” movement to date. However, Peng smiled and asked Chinese state media for privacy, so the investigation did not seem imminent.
Video chat with Chinese tennis star Peng Shuai’s IOC chief cannot alleviate her fear of safety
Source link Video chat with Chinese tennis star Peng Shuai’s IOC chief cannot alleviate her fear of safety
The post Video chat with Chinese tennis star Peng Shuai’s IOC chief cannot alleviate her fear of safety appeared first on Eminetra.