Sunday, November 28, 2021
More

    Latest Posts

    Olympic officials: Chinese tennis star Peng says she is safe | News – Kansas City, Missouri

    Kansas City, Missouri 2021-11-21 13:16:23 –

    Beijing (AP) — Missing Chinese tennis star Peng Shuai told Olympic officials in a video call from Beijing that she is safe and energetic, the International Olympic Committee said Peng was at a youth tournament in Beijing. Organizer according to photos released on Sunday after public re-appearance.

    A 30-minute phone call came amid rising global vigilance against Peng after she accused former Communist Party officials of sexual assault. China’s ruling Communist Party sought to calm fears abroad while curbing China’s information about Peng.

    The phone call on Sunday was with IOC President Thomas Bach, IOC Chairman Emma Terho, and IOC President Lee Ling-Jin, former Vice President of the Chinese Tennis Association, since he disappeared from public in November. Seems to be the first time he has had direct contact with sports officials outside China. .. 2.

    Peng “thanks for the IOC’s concerns about well-being,” a Swiss-based Olympic organization said in a statement.

    “She explained that she lives in her home in Beijing and is safe and energetic, but at this point she wants her to respect her privacy, so she wants to spend time with her friends and family right now. I like it, “said the statement.

    Peng, who played in China for three Olympic games from 2008 to 2016, sexually assaulted Zhang Gaoli, a former member of the ruling party’s standing committee of the Communist Party, three weeks ago on Chinese social media. I made a complaint.

    The post was deleted within minutes and the former top-ranked double sprayer disappeared from public view. She did not publicly respond to requests for information to show that she was safe.

    Peng adds to Increasing number of Chinese businessmen, activists and the general public People who have disappeared in recent years after criticizing party figures or cracking down on corruption, democracy and worker rights campaigns.

    Some have reappeared without explanation after weeks or months, suggesting that they have been warned not to disclose the reasons or reasons for their detention.

    Peng’s photo posted by China Open on the Weibo social media service does not mention her disappearance or accusations. The former Wimbledon champion was shown standing beside the court, waving an oversized commemorative tennis ball for the children and signing.

    Peng’s disappearance and official silence in response to the call for information prompted a boycott call for the February Beijing Winter Olympics, a fame event for the Communist Party. The Women’s Pro Tour threatened to pull the event out of China unless the former No. 1 doubles player was safe.

    The IOC had previously remained silent about the situation of Peng, who participated in three Olympic games. This helped to contribute to the IOC’s millions of dollars in revenue from broadcasting and sponsorship.

    The policy stated by the Olympic organization is “quiet diplomacy”. “We will continue to have open dialogue at all levels with the Chinese Olympic movement,” the IOC said on Saturday.

    The discussion about Peng’s accusations has been removed from the Chinese website. A government spokesman on Friday denied knowing about the protest. The ruling party’s internet filter also blocks most people in China from seeing other social media abroad and most global news outlets.

    Comments on Chinese social media on Sunday criticized the Women’s Tennis Association and others who talked about Peng. Chinese comments on Twitter enjoyed the nasty release of Peng’s photos and videos by state media employees this weekend while the government remained silent.

    “When will the WTA leave China?” Comments on the Sina Weibo social media service that signed the “Sleep Time”.

    The appearance of Peng on Sunday was mentioned in the last sentence of the tournament report on the website of Global Times, a newspaper published by the ruling party and aimed at foreign readers, but soon by other media in China. Was not reported to.

    Global Times editor Hu Xijin said on Twitter on Saturday that most Internet users in China wouldn’t see him, Peng “stays free in his house” and will soon “appear publicly.”

    Global Times is known for its nationalist tone. President Hu has used his Twitter account to criticize foreign governments and point out social and economic problems abroad.

    A comment on bobzhang999, signed on Twitter, says, “Hu Dog, there are so many pictures, why don’t you let Peng Shuai talk?”

    Another signed sorcerer said, “Please let Peng Shuai’s parents hold a press conference.”

    Tennis stars and the WTA have been unusually vocal in requesting information about Peng. Other companies and sports groups are hesitant to confront Beijing for fear of losing access to the Chinese market and other retaliation.

    The ruling party has not revealed whether it is investigating Peng’s charges against Gao (75), who left the Communist Party’s ruling standing committee in 2018 and has almost disappeared from public.

    Even if Peng’s accusations were justified, Chinese people often embarrassed the party by publishing complaints about abuse instead of going through a secretive, often unresponsive official system. Imprisoned or face other punishments.

    The status of star athletes like Peng is particularly sensitive. State media celebrates their victory as evidence that the party is strengthening China. However, the party is wary of ensuring that they cannot use their excellence and public appeal to erode that image.

    WTA Chairman and CEO Steve Simon expressed concern about the safety of the pen after posting two videos on Saturday that newspaper editor Fu appears to be showing her at a restaurant. ..

    “Meeting her is positive, but it’s unclear if she’s free and able to make her own decisions and take action without coercion or external interference. This video alone isn’t enough. “Simon said. “Our relationship with China is at a crossroads.”

    “We will continue to have open dialogue at all levels with the Chinese Olympic movement,” the IOC said on Saturday.

    Juan Antonio Samaranch, a senior member of the IOC who was asked about human rights in China two weeks ago, said he “has not discussed anything with the Chinese government” on the issue.

    The IOC previously stated that the partner organizing the Winter Olympics is not the state of China, but the local organizing committee. The committee is governed by the Communist Party.

    Emma Terho, the newly elected chairman of the IOC’s Athletes Committee, responsible for representing the interests of Olympic athletes, said in a statement Saturday that the IOC’s “supporting quiet diplomacy” approach was mentioned. rice field.

    Last week, the foreign division of state television issued an English statement due to Peng, who withdrew her charges against Zhang. Simon of the WTA questioned its legitimacy, but others said it only increased their concerns about her safety.

    ———

    Geneva AP sports writer Graham Dunbar contributed to this report.

    !function(f,b,e,v,n,t,s)
    {if(f.fbq)return;n=f.fbq=function(){n.callMethod?
    n.callMethod.apply(n,arguments):n.queue.push(arguments)};
    if(!f._fbq)f._fbq=n;n.push=n;n.loaded=!0;n.version=’2.0′;
    n.queue=[];t=b.createElement(e);t.async=!0;
    t.src=v;s=b.getElementsByTagName(e)[0];
    s.parentNode.insertBefore(t,s)}(window, document,’script’,
    ‘https://connect.facebook.net/en_US/fbevents.js’);
    fbq(‘init’, ‘685577345422755’);
    fbq(‘track’, ‘PageView’);

    Olympic officials: Chinese tennis star Peng says she is safe | News Source link Olympic officials: Chinese tennis star Peng says she is safe | News

    The post Olympic officials: Chinese tennis star Peng says she is safe | News – Kansas City, Missouri appeared first on Eminetra.

    Latest Posts

    Don't Miss

    Stay in touch

    To be updated with all the latest news, offers and special announcements.