Doctors worked on Monday to save the lives of several people who were seriously injured when fire smoke knocked them out or locked them in a skyscraper apartment in New York City. 19 people, including 9 children, Died in flames..
Dozens of people were hospitalized and as many as 13 were in crisis after a fire broke out in Bronx on Sunday. This is the deadliest city in 30 years.
Investigators have determined that a malfunctioning electric space heater connected to give extra heat on a cold morning caused a fire in a 19-story building.
The flames damaged only a small part of the building, but the smoke escaped through the open doors of the apartment and turned into a stairwell.
Some people couldn’t escape because of the amount of smoke, said Daniel Nigro, director of the city’s fire department. Others were powerless when they tried to escape. Firefighters found victims on all floors, many of them in cardiac arrest and respiratory arrest.
After they were run, the children were seen to be oxygenated. Some of those who fled had their faces covered with soot. Mayor Eric Adams said firefighters continued to rescue after the air supply was cut off.
Nigro said investigations are underway to determine if anything has been done to prevent or contain the flame. According to Adams, the door was supposed to close automatically, so the smoke seemed to spread.
“There may have been a maintenance issue with this door, and it will be part of an ongoing investigation,” Adams told ABC on Monday.
Smoke detectors are installed in the buildings, but some residents initially ignored the smoke detectors because alarms were so common in 120 buildings.
Large new apartment buildings in the city require a sprinkler system and internal doors that close automatically to contain smoke and steal oxygen fire, but these rules apply to thousands of old buildings. not.
Building resident Sandra Clayton grabs the dog Mocha, sees the hallway filled with smoke, and people say, “Get out! Take it out!”
Clayton, 61, said he groped for the darkened stairs. The smoke was so black that I couldn’t see it, but I could hear my neighbor crying.
“I ran down the stairs as much as I could, but people fell everywhere and shouted,” Clayton said from the hospital where she was treated for smoke inhalation.
Her dog slipped off her grip and was later found dead in a stairwell.
Jose Henriques, who lives on the 10th floor, said the building’s fire alarms sounded frequently, but it turned out to be wrong.
“As they are today, they left, but people didn’t pay attention,” Henriquez said.
He and his family stayed under the door with a wet towel wedged when they noticed that the smoke in the hall overwhelmed them as they tried to escape.
Luis Rosa also said he initially thought it was a false alarm. By the time I opened the door of the apartment on the 13th floor, the smoke was so thick that I couldn’t see the corridor.
“So I said, ok, we can’t run down the stairs because we get choked when we run down the stairs. All we could do was wait.”
Fire new York The city’s most deadly since 1990, when 87 people were killed in the arson of the Happyland Social Club, also in Bronx. The autonomous region was also the place where a deadly apartment building fire that killed 13 people in 2017 and a 2007 fire that was also initiated by a space heater killed 9 people.
New York: The Battle of Doctors Who Kill Dozens of Life in a Bronx Fire | New York
Source link New York: The Battle of Doctors Who Kill Dozens of Life in a Bronx Fire | New York
The post New York: The Battle of Doctors Who Kill Dozens of Life in a Bronx Fire | New York appeared first on Eminetra.