The Malaysian embassy in Canada, just like the Malaysian embassies in other countries is responsible for ensuring that the welfare of Malaysian citizens is adequately met.
Most certainly, the Malaysian Embassy in Canada provides Consular services in Canada, so we advise you to find the Malaysian Embassy or Consulate nearest to you in Canada to know more about the services they render.
All you need to do, such as passport and visa application, have been made easy for you. Nevertheless, you can always visit the embassy website for more detailed information.
What is an Embassy?
Embassy and consulate refer to government representations in a foreign country. A country will have only one Embassy in another nation whereas it will have a number of consulates in various cities.
Furthermore, an embassy is the larger representation, but a consulate is only a smaller version of the embassy. Consulates in a sense can be called junior embassies.
Generally, Embassies are permanent diplomatic missions generally located in a county’s capital. Consulates are located only in bigger cities and not only in the capital city.
Countries establish Embassies in another nation only if it recognizes the sovereignty of that country. More so, Ambassador who are high-ranking diplomatic representatives of a country, represent the Embassy and Consuls represent the Consulates.
In addition, the Ambassadors are the spokesperson of their governments. Embassies have a broader role to play and they represent their government in another nation.
Embassies mainly deal with political and diplomatic relations with the host nations. They also look after the welfare of citizens who are living in that country.
Though both Embassies and Consulates represent its government in a foreign country, they have very different responsibilities and different roles to play.
Malaysia is located in Southeast Asia. The country made up of two separate regions: Peninsula Malaysia and the island of Borneo.
The latter is known for its sprawling rainforest, which is over 140 million years old and home to endangered species like the orangutan. Kuala Lumpur is the capital city of Malaysia.
The country is multi-ethnic and multi-cultural, which has a significant effect on its politics.
About half the population is ethnically Malay, with minorities of Chinese, Indians, and indigenous people.
The country’s official language is Malaysian, a standard form of the Malay language. English remains an active second language.
Many other languages are used in Malaysia, which contains speakers of 137 languages.
Peninsular Malaysia contains speakers of 41 of these languages. The native tribes of East Malaysia have their own languages, which are related to, but easily distinguishable from, Malay.
Malaysia currently has one of the most ‘open’ economies in the world. It readily accepts trade and investment opportunities, which has resulted in around 40% of the country’s jobs being linked to export activities.
In addition, Malaysia has also significantly decreased the amount of poverty that used to be prevalent throughout the region.
Some of its biggest industries include electronics, pharmaceuticals, petroleum production, and rubber and palm oil processing. The property market in Malaysia is also becoming increasingly attractive.
From luxury apartments in Kuala Lumpur to plush Rumah kondo properties, newcomers to the country have plenty to choose from.
Contact details and addresses of Malaysian Embassy in Canada
In addition to Malaysia’s high commission in Ottawa, Malaysia has two other representations in Canada. These representations include consulates in Toronto and Vancouver.
1. Consular section of the Malaysian High Commission in Ottawa
The high commission of Malaysia in Ottawa is located at 60 Boteler Street. You can contact the Commission via telephone on 613 241 5182 / 5206 as well as by email [email protected].
In addition, the consular section shares location as well as telephone number and email address with the high commission.
The offices of the high commission may be closed on Canadian and Malaysian public holidays.
2. Malaysian Honorary Consulate in Toronto, Canada
The consulate of Malaysia in Toronto is located at 200 Consumers Road, Suite 808. You can contact the Consulate via telephone on 416-618-0966 as well as by email [email protected]
The high commission in Ottawa supervises the consulate of Malaysia in Toronto.
The consulate is open weekdays by appointment. The offices of the consulate may not open during Canadian and Malaysian public holidays.
3. Malaysian Consulate General in Vancouver, Canada
The consulate general of Malaysia in Vancouver is located at Suites 1805 FortisBC Centre, 1111 West Georgia Street.
More so, you can contact them via telephone on 604 685 9550 as well as by email [email protected]
The high commission in Ottawa supervises the Consulate General of Malaysia in Vancouver.
Addresses of Canadian Consular in Malaysia
Canada has two representations in Malaysia. These representations include a high commission in Kuala Lumpur and a consulate in Penang.
1. Canadian High Commission in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Address: Menara Tan & Tan, 17th Floor, 207 Jalan Tun Razak P.O. Box 10990, 50732 Kuala Lumpur 50400 Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
Telephone: (+60) (3) 2718 3333
Fax: (+60) (3) 2718 3399
Email: [email protected]
Office hours: Monday-Thursday: 08:00am -12:00pm, 13:00am-16:30pm and Friday: 08:00am-12:30om
Head of mission: Julia Bentley, High Commissioner
2. Canadian Honorary Consulate in Penang, Malaysia
Address: Leong Bee & Soo Bee sdn bhd 3007, Tingkat Perusahaan, 5Prai Industrial Park
13600 Prai Penang, Malaysia.
Telephone: (+60) (4) 388 9900
Fax: (+60) (4) 388 9901
Office hours: By appointment
Head of mission: Tan Yew Thong, Honorary Consul
Icelandic Embassy in Canada
Top 6 Services Provided by Malaysian Embassy in Canada
Here are the services provided by Malaysian Embassy in Canada
- Process passport application
- Certificate of good conduct
- Process visa application
- Notarization of certain documents
- Legalization of certain documents
- Issuing of emergency travel documents
How to Apply for Passport at Malaysian Embassy in Canada
You definitely need the following documents to apply for a new Malaysian Passport. They include:
For Malaysians residing in Provinces and Territories under the jurisdiction of the High Commission of Malaysia in Ottawa:
Manitoba, New Brunswick, Newfoundland and Labrador, Nova Scotia, Nunavut, Ontario, Prince Edward Island, and Quebec.
Documents to be submitted:
- 1 copy of Passport Application Form (IM.42-Pin.1/97) which you can download or obtain at the High Commission of Malaysia.
More so, you need to provide clear (in blue/black ink) thumbprint on the designated space in the form.
- Original Malaysian International Passport with 2 photocopies of the information pages 1 and 2.
- Malaysian Identity Card with 2 photocopies (front and back).
- Original valid Canadian Permanent Residence (PR) Card with 2 photocopies (front and back).
If you do not possess a valid Canadian PR Card, you are required to produce a Search Letter from the Canadian Immigration Citizenship (CIC) Department confirming that you are not a Canadian Citizen.
- 3 recent colored photographs with white background.
- A completed and signed Registration of Malaysian Citizen Overseas form.
- Payment method: Money order/ bank draft (payable to the High Commission of Malaysia, Ottawa).
Additional documents for children under 18 years old and first time applicants.
- 1 copy of Parents Consent Form Borang A1/B1 (IM.42A-Pin1/93 ).
- Birth Certificate with 2 photocopies. Applicable also for first time applicants.
- Parents’ Passports with 2 photocopies of pages 1-2.
- Original Parents’ Malaysian Identity Cards with 2 photocopies (front and back on 1 page).
- Parents’ Permanent Residence Card /Work Permit/Study Permit with 2 photocopies.
- Original Parents’ Marriage Certificate with 2 photocopies.
Requirements to apply for Visa to Malaysia
- Your passport has to be valid for more than six (6) months before date of propose departure from Malaysia.
- Completed Form IMM 47. Application form can be downloaded from the Malaysian Immigration website imi.gov.my
- Letter from employer confirming employment( if applicable).
- Proof of sufficient funds for use in Malaysia (Travelers cheques or bank statement).
- Confirmed Travel itinerary from Travel Agency.
- One passport-sized photograph.
- Fee – vary depending on countries of origin and made payable to the High Commission of Malaysia by Money Order (please call the High Commission of Malaysia, Ottawa, for further information).
- Copy of Landed Immigrant paper or PR Card.
- Prepaid envelope with sufficient stamps to cover the return of your document by registered mail.
- Letter of invitation from a relative or a friend in Malaysia giving their complete address and telephone number to the High Commission.
Additional requirements to apply for a student visa and work visa
For Student Visa, you need to submit a letter from your university, college or school, confirming that you are a bona fide student together with your valid original study visa issued by the Canadian Immigration and Citizenship (CIC) Department with 2 photocopies.
To apply for work visa, you need to submit your valid original work visa issued by the Canadian Immigration and Citizenship (CIC) Department with 2 photocopies.
Frequently Asked Question
How long does it take to get passport back from Canadian embassy?
In-person applications at a passport office are processed within 10 working days while Mailed applications are processed within 20 working days, excluding mailing time.
How much does Malaysian Embassy in Canada charges for a new passport?
- Applicants below 60 years old costs C$65.00
- A person below 12 years of age costs C$33.00
- Applicants above 60 years old costs C$33.00
In conclusion, the Malaysian Embassy in Canada is serving the Malaysian citizens in Canada truthfully.
The citizen services offered by the embassy are excellent. However, ensure to meet all requirements to obtain your passports and visa on time.