It is without a doubt that you can immigrate to Canada as a school principal through Express Entry or any of the available Provincial Nominee Programs (PNPs).
Surprisingly, these immigration programs have easy application processes. Regardless of that, we will provide you with few simple steps that are helpful to immigrate to Canada as a school principal.
Of course, school principals have vast employment opportunities in Canada.
This is a big plus for you as it creates opportunities for all foreigners to take part in Canada’s educational sector, particularly in elementary and secondary school level.
Thus, this article contains comprehensive information on how to immigrate to Canada as a school principal.
Additionally, you will learn of their employers, average salary, employment requirements, among others.
Who are school principals?
Generally speaking, school principals plan, coordinate, organize, control and assess the activities of teachers and other personnel in an elementary or secondary school.
Moreover, school principals work for several public and private educational institutions in Canada.
Furthermore, each job in Canada has a category with regard to National Occupational Classification (NOC). Hence, the NOC code for school principals in Canada is 0422.
Job descriptions/duties of school principals
As you plan to immigrate to Canada as a school principal, it is equally important for you to know your roles as a school principal to educational institutions.
- Planning, directing, coordinating, controlling and assessing the activities of teachers and support staff through department heads or supervisors
- In addition, assessing programs to guarantee that they act in accordance with the school board or provincial standards, as well as developing programs within limits of authority
- Also, they coordinate teaching activities in the educational institution by preparing timetables, personnel assignments, as well as determining class size
- They also organize and maintaining procedures for the record keeping
- Preparing and delivering educational institution or program’s budget
- Conducting and coordinating school maintenance services and usage of school facilities
- Lastly, they teach students, recruiting and hiring staff, including teachers
Examples of jobs under NOC 0422
Obviously, there are many examples of occupations under NOC 0422. As a prospective immigrant, you can seek employment into any of the following school principal job positions in Canada.
- Aboriginal school principal
- Academic superintendent
- Area superintendent – schools
- Assistant district school superintendent
- Assistant principal
- Assistant school district superintendent
- Assistant superintendent of schools
- Associate superintendent – schools
- Board of education administrator
- Business college principal
- Chief superintendent – schools
- College principal – secondary level
- Community school principal
- Deputy superintendent – schools
- Director of education – correctional institution
- Director of school for the blind or deaf
- Director of school for the hearing impaired
- Director of school for the visually impaired
- District school assistant superintendent
- District school superintendent
- Elementary school principal
- Hall principal – secondary school
- High school principal
- Native school principal
- Private primary college principal
- Private school headmaster/mistress
- Private school principal
- Regional schools superintendent
- Regional superintendent – schools
- School board administrator
- School district assistant superintendent
- School district superintendent
- School principal
- School superintendent
- School vice-principal
- Secondary school principal
- Superintendent of academic affairs
- Superintendent of education programs
- Superintendent of education programs in public schools
- Superintendent of educational services
- Superintendent of elementary education
- Superintendent of elementary schools
- Superintendent of operations – schools
- Superintendent of professional development – schools
- Superintendent of secondary schools
- Superintendent of special education
- Superintendent of student services
- Technical high school principal
- Vocational high school principal
Immigrate to Canada as a Teaching and Research Assistant
Requirements to work in Canada as a school principal
Without doubt, you need to meet some requirements before you can resume work as a school principal in Canada.
Thus, the following are the employment requirements of school principals across Canadian provinces and territories.
- Completion of a Bachelor degree program in Education (B.Ed)
- Masters degree in Education (M.Ed) certificate is often required
- Must possess vast work experience as a department head or senior teacher
- Teacher’s certificate for the province of employment
- Principal’s certificate
- Supervisory officer certificate (often required by administrators of elementary and secondary education)
Exclusion under school principals
Of course, the following occupations do not have consideration under NOC 0422 as school principals in Canada.
- 0014 – Senior managers – health, education, social and community services and membership organizations
- 0413 – Government managers – education policy development and program administration
- 0421 – Administrators – post-secondary education and vocational training
- 4166 – Education policy researchers, consultants and program officers
Requirements to immigrate to Canada as a school principal
As a prospective immigrant, your age, level of education, work experience, language skills, and others needs to be in conformance with IRCC’s requirements.
Thus, based on these factors, you will be able to increase your points on the Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS), which qualifies you to immigrate to Canada.
General requirements for immigration to Canada
Below are the overall requirements to immigrate and become a permanent resident of Canada.
- Age requirement: Least age of 18 and maximum of 35
- Educational requirement: Must have completed secondary school or post-secondary education. Besides, an Educational Credential Assessment (ECA) report must be obtained for certificate verification purpose.
- Language skills requirements: You can meet Canada’s immigration language requirement by taking an approved test such as IELTS, CELPIP, TOEFL, PTE, CAEL, TCF or TEF Canada.
- Arranged Employment or job offer: Getting a job offer or arranged employment is not compulsory to immigrate to Canada but can give up to 10 points on Express Entry Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS).
- Work experience: Based on your years of work experience, you can get more points on the CRS as long as your past job was full-time.
- Adaptability: Foreigners who want to immigrate to Canada with their spouse or common-law partner are able to earn 10 points for adaptability.
- Nomination certificate: If your chosen pathway for immigration to Canada is provincial nomination, you will earn extra 600 points on the CRS if successful.
Pathways to immigrate to Canada as a school principal
On the positive side, there are 2 popular pathways that aids the immigration of school principals to Canada. These include Express Entry and Provincial Nominee Programs (PNPs).
Express Entry program
Undoubtedly, school principals are skilled workers as regards to Canada’s Express Entry programs. Therefore, you need to apply under Express Entry Federal Skilled Worker (FSW) program.
Provincial Nominee Program
Certainly, Canada has 11 Provincial Nominee Programs (PNPs) throughout its provinces and territories with exemption of Quebec and Nunavut. These programs are available to foreigners from many countries.
Notwithstanding, these Provincial Nominee Programs (PNPs) requires you to fulfill an obligation to stay and work within the province or territory that influenced your nomination.
Steps to immigrate to Canada as a school principal
Here are the steps involved to apply and submit all applications for immigration to Canada as a school principal.
STEP 1: Create Express Entry profile online
You need to complete an online form on Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC)’s website.
Undoubtedly, filling out this online form makes it possible for you to create an Express Entry profile.
STEP 2: Select a pathway and apply
In addition, you must choose an immigration pathway between Express Entry and Provincial Nominee Programs (PNPs).
Regardless of your immigration pathway, it is vital for you to update and submit your Express Entry profile on time.
If Provincial Nominee Program is your chosen pathway, you need to request for nomination from your preferred province or territory in Canada and update its information on your Express Entry profile upon acceptance.
STEP 3: Receive ITA and apply for permanent residency
Subsequent to submitting your Express Entry profile, you need to wait until you receive an Invitation to Apply (ITA) for Permanent Residency (PR) to Canada.
Therefore, you must apply for your PR within 60 days of recovering the invitation.
Besides, your permanent residency application must contain certain documents.
These include medical exams report, proof of fund(s), police clearance certificate, birth certificate, marriage certificate/divorce certificate, among others.
STEP 4: Move to Canada
Of course, you are free to immigrate to Canada as a school principal after your permanent residence application has been approved.
It is also important to take all necessary original documents with you while packing.
Immigrate to Canada as a Supervisor in Printing Press
Who are employers of school principals in Canada?
- Aitchison School of Canada Inc., Stoney Creek, ON
- Anglophone East School District, Moncton, AB
- Frontier School Division, Gillam, MB
- Halton Catholic District School Board, Burlington, ON
- Kahnawake Education Centre, Kahnawake, QC
- Near North District School Board, North Bay, ON
- Newfoundland & Labrador English School District, Happy Valley-Goose Bay, NL
- Rainy River District School Board, Fort Frances, ON
- Simcoe County District School Board, Midhurst, ON
- The Northwest Catholic District School Board, Fort Frances, ON
Frequently Asked Questions
What is school principals NOC code?
How much does school principals make in Canada?
Undoubtedly, school principals make an average of CAD $20 to CAD $60 per hour in Canada.
All things considered, you will realize no regret when you immigrate to Canada as a school principal. As a matter of fact, you can apply for Canada’s immigration by yourself at almost any time in the year. Best of luck!