If you want to study law in Canada, you can immigrate to Canada as a paralegal. This will help you to gain experience especially on the field training.
Apart from that, you will also be exposed to the working conditions in Canada. As such, it will become very easy for you to work as a law practitioner in Canada.
However, before you can immigrate to Canada, there are certain requirements that you must meet including language requirements, age requirements as well as work experience.
Therefore, in this article, you will learn everything you need to know about immigrating to Canada as a paralegal.
What a paralegal does in Canada
First of all, the NOC code for paralegal is 4211.
The general works of paralegals include to prepare legal documents and conduct research to assist lawyers or other professionals. In addition,independent paralegals provide legal services to the public as allowed by government legislation. They also provide paralegal services on contract to law firms or other establishments.
Therefore, they are employed by law firms, by record search companies as well as in legal departments throughout the public and private sectors. Furthermore, independent paralegals are usually self-employed.
As for notaries public, they administer oaths, take affidavits, sign legal documents in addition to other activities according to the scope of their practice. Meanwhile, trademark agents advise clients on intellectual property matters.
As such, they are employed by government and in the public and private sectors or they may be self-employed. In addition, trademark agents advise clients on intellectual property matters.
Finally, they are employed by law firms and legal departments throughout the public and private sectors, trademark development and search firms or they may be self-employed.
Examples of works under paralegal in Canada
The following are examples of jobs under paralegal jobs in Canada. Therefore, you can use them to immigrate to Canada as a paralegal. They include:
- British Columbia notary public
- collection paralegal
- commercial law paralegal
- contract clerk – law
- conveyance clerk
- copyright agent
- corporate law and litigation clerk
- corporate law clerk
- brief writer – law
- corporate paralegal
- corporate securities law clerk
- commercial law clerk
- corporation paralegal
- court and tribunal agent
- criminal law clerk
- criminal law paralegal
- family law clerk
- family law paralegal
- foreclosure clerk
- foreclosure paralegal
- independent paralegal
- insurance law clerk
- insurance paralegal
- labour law clerk
- labour law paralegal
- land titles clerk
- land titles examiner
- law clerk
- law clerk to judge
- lay notary public
- lease and title clerk
- legal researcher
- legal technician
- litigation law clerk
- litigation paralegal
- notary public
- mortgage and real estate paralegal
- notary public (British Columbia)
- notary public (outside Quebec)
- oil and gas property paralegal
- oil and gas rights law clerk
- notary public clerk
- oil and gas rights paralegal
- property paralegal
- real estate law clerk
- real estate paralegal
- registered trademark agent
- tax law clerk
- tax paralegal
- title and lease clerk
- title examiner
- trademark agent
- title searcher
- transfer-of-title clerk
- wills and estates law clerk
- wills and estates paralegal
In addition to the above, as a law clerk you are under paralegal in Canada. Therefore, you can still use it to immigrate to Canada as a paralegal.
Examples of jobs excluded from paralegal in Canada
The following jobs are not included in paralegal. Therefore, you cannot immigrate to Canada as a paralegal with them. They include:
- Articling law students, Quebec notaries and trademark lawyers
- Legal administrative assistants
- Patent agents
Main duties of a paralegal in Canada
In addition, as a motor vehicle body repairer, you can also perform the following duties:
- Assist lawyers by interviewing clients, witnesses and other related parties, assembling documentary evidence, preparing trial briefs, and arranging for trials
- Assist lawyers in preparation for mediation and judicial dispute resolutions
- Under the supervision of a lawyer, prepare wills, real estate transactions and other legal documents, court reports and affidavits
- Research records, court files and other legal documents
- Draft legal correspondence and perform general office and clerical duties.
- Represent clients in small claims court and in other lower court proceedings, at tribunals and before administrative bodies
- Advise clients and take legal action on landlord and tenant matters, traffic violations, name changes and other issues within their jurisdictions.
- Administer oaths and take affidavits and depositions
- Witness and certify the validity of signatures on documents
- May draft contracts, prepare promissory notes and draw up wills, mortgages and other legal documents
- May arrange probates and administer the estates of deceased persons.
- Advise clients on intellectual property matters and represent clients before the Registrar of Trade-Marks on matters including prosecution of applications for registration of trademarks
- Advise on the registrability of trademarks, trademark licensing requirements, transfer of intellectual property and protection of existing trademark rights
- Represent clients at proceedings before the Trade Marks Opposition Board and in related proceedings
- May represent clients internationally in consultation with foreign associates and attorneys.
Employment requirements to immigrate to Canada as a paralegal
Before you immigrate to Canada as a motor vehicle body repairer, you must fulfill certain requirements. These requirements include both other general as well as specific requirements.
General requirements to work in Canada
The general requirements to work in Canada include:
- Language requirements
- Age requirements
- Education requirements
- Arranged employment
- Work experience
- Your partner’s ability
- Proof of funds
Every worker in Canada, especially foreign workers must show a level of English language proficiency. Therefore, you must provide a test result from an internationally recognized organisation to prove this.
Generally, the working age in Canada is between 18 and 65. However, children of less than 18 years can work in certain jobs. Nonetheless, you must be at least 18 years before you can immigrate to Canada as a paralegal.
In order to immigrate to Canada, you must meet the academic requirement in Canada for workers. The general requirement is secondary school. However, some jobs like paralegal demand more than secondary
#4: Arranged employment
With an arranged employment, you can get more scores in the comprehensive ranking system. However, there are many conditions that you must meet. First of all, you must meet the requirements for the job. Secondly, your employer must get a clearance from the LMIA and also prove that you are the best candidate for the job.
You must be able to prove that you can adapt to the Canadian weather. If not, you won’t be able to immigrate to Canada as a motor vehicle body repairer.
In addition, you must also be able to adapt to the working conditions in Canada. Therefore, you must provide medical proof of medical fitness that you can adapt in Canada.
#6: Work experience
You can also use your work experience to immigrate to Canada as a motor vehicle body repairer. Therefore, if you have any experience in Canada as a worker, you can put it in your application. This also increases your score in the comprehensive ranking system.
#7: Your partner’s skills
Another factor that helps to increase your score in the comprehensive ranking system is your partner’s skills and experience.
Specific requirements to immigrate to Canada as a paralegal
As a paralegal in Canada, you must perform the following duties.
- First of all, paralegals in law firms require a bachelor’s degree in law or a law college diploma and in-house training from a law firm as well as other legal establishments.
- Secondly, as independent paralegals require knowledge of legal principles and procedures usually obtained through industry-sponsored courses and through experience, or through completion of a community college paralegal program.
- In addition, paralegals require a licence to perform advanced legal services.
- Notaries public usually require a university degree in law or a related field.
- Notaries public are appointed after examination and certification of their qualifications by the governing judiciary in their province or territory. All appointments have specific limitations on the activities they can perform and for specific periods of time.
- Notaries public require a provincial licence. In British Columbia, membership in the Society of Notaries Public is also required.
- To be licensed, trademark agents are required to work in the area of trademark law, including the preparation and prosecution of trademark applications for registration, for two years
- To successfully complete the examination conducted jointly by the Intellectual Property Institute of Canada and the Registrar of Trade-Marks, Canadian Intellectual Property Office
- Either one of the above and to be a lawyer entitled to practise in Canada.
- Finally, trademark agents require registration with the federal Trade-Mark Office.
Immigrate to Canada as a Printing Press Operator
Pathways to immigrate to Canada as a paralegal
The following are the immigration programs in Canada which you can use to immigrate to Canada as a motor vehicle body repairer. However, not everyone qualifies for each program. Therefore, before you choose a program, make sure you meet the requirements for the program. They include:
- Express entry
- Provincial Nominee Programs
- In-Demand occupations
- Job offer
1: Express entry
The express entry allows you to immigrate to Canada using any of the programs under it. This is an economic immigration program that allows you to immigrate to Canada as a worker. Using the express entry means you can choose any program of your choice. Therefore, you can select a program that suits your qualifications. The programs under the express entry system include:
2: Provincial Nominee Program
The provincial nominee program is a program organized by the province in Canada. Therefore, if you plan to live and work in a particular province, you can use the program of the province you want to use.
3: Job offer
Having a job means that you must meet all the requirements for the job. In addition, your employer must be certified by the LMIA. Without this, your job offer becomes invalid. Therefore, you make sure that everything you need before you get a job in Canada is complete. Otherwise, your employment will not be valid.
4: In-demand jobs
Sometimes, a job will not have enough personnels from Canada to fill some positions. In such cases, Canadian employers are allowed to employ foreign workers, especially experts in the field. Therefore, if you are an expert, you can use the in-demand jobs to immigrate to Canada as a paralegal. However, you must meet the requirements for paralegals in Canada.
Steps to immigrate to Canada as a paralegal
You can follow the steps below to immigrate to Canada as a paralegal:
Step 1 : Create an express entry account
First of all, create an express entry account. When creating this account, make sure you use the correct information. This is because the information you use will be used in processing your application for a work permit.
Step 2: Enter a program
Secondly, you have to select a program you want to use. The program you choose must reflect your qualifications. The programs include:
- Canada Experience Class
- Federal skilled trade program
- Federal skilled worker program
- Provincial Nominee programs
- Quebec Experience Class
- Quebec skilled worker program
Step 3: Find a job in Canada
Thirdly, you can find a job in Canada. However, this is not compulsory. Therefore, if you cannot find a job, you will still get your work permit if you meet other requirements.
Step 4: Receive an invitation to apply
Fourthly, expect to receive an invitation to apply. This is only if you are among the candidates with the highest points in the comprehensive ranking system. Therefore, you must include everything that will give you more points in your express entry profile.
Step 5: Submit your application with supporting documents
Fiftly, submit your application with the supporting documents. Along with them, you will also pay the compulsory application fee of CAD $150. Without paying the fee, your application will not be processed. Therefore, make sure you pay it on time.
Meanwhile, you have only 60 days to submit your application and supporting documents. So, make sure that they are ready even before you receive the invitation to apply.
Step 6: Get your work permit
Sixtly, you will get a report that your work permit has been processed and granted. This usually comes within 28 days. Therefore, if you do not receive it, then, it means that either a document is missing or you filled in false information in your application.
Step 7: Arrive in Canada
Finally, you can arrive in Canada. Note that you don’t have to worry about the work permit. This is because you will get it once you arrive in a Canadian port of entry.
Frequently Asked Questions
Do I need a job offer to immigrate to Canada as a paralegal?
A job offer is not compulsory to immigrate to Canada as a paralegal. However, it helps you to facilitate the immigration process.
What is the average salary of a paralegal in Canada?
As a paralegal in Canada, you will be earning about CAD $57,109 annually. However, with more experience you can earn more.
What is the processing time for a work visa to enter Canada as a paralegal?
For a Canadian work permit, it takes between 3 to 6 months to process.
What is the NOC code number for paralegals in Canada?
The NOC code for paralegals in Canada is 4211.
With the steps above and being able to choose a good immigration plan. You can immigrate to Canada as a paralegal easily.