Are you feeling frustrated about how to immigrate to Canada as a health services support worker? This article will give some relieve as regards to your worries and concerns.
Foreigners are currently trooping to Canada because Canada is welcoming, providing an avenue for foreigners to comfortably work and establish a career in Canada.
Furthermore, the enormous benefits attached to having a permanent resident visa in Canada will no doubt motivate foreigners to immigrate to Canada.
In addition, health services support worker will no doubt have access to quality health and raise his or her family in a safe, conducive and peaceful environment.
Spare your time to learn about the job responsibilities, steps to immigrate to Canada as a health services support worker, requirements, related jobs and pathway programs to immigrate to Canada.
Job definition of health services support worker
Worker in other assisting occupations in support of health services provide services and assistance to health care professionals and other health care staff.
As a healthcare support worker, you will work under the supervision of a healthcare professional, supporting them and helping patients and service users on their journey back to full health.
They are employed in hospitals, medical clinics, offices of health care professionals, nursing homes, optical retail stores and laboratories, pharmacies and medical pathology laboratories.
Responsibilities of a health service support worker
Duties and responsibilities will vary slightly depending on the role, sector or industry, but a general outline of the roles include:
- Assist orthopedic surgeons in the treatment of orthopedic diseases and injuries by applying and adjusting casts, splints, bandages and other orthopedic devices
- Assist in the application, maintenance and adjustment of traction equipment
- Clean and dress wounds
- Remove casts, sutures, staples and pins
- Instruct patients, their families, and other health care professionals with respect to orthopedic matters.
- Prepare and maintain equipment and supplies
- Assist in activities for the rehabilitation of patients as directed by health care professionals
- May perform routine office functions.
Optical/ophthalmic laboratory technicians and assistants
- Operate laboratory equipment to grind, cut, polish and edge lenses for eyeglasses according to prescriptions received and fit lenses into frames.
- Make minor repairs for customers such as replacing frame screws or straightening frames.
- Maintain and repair optical laboratory equipment or machinery.
- Help pharmacists and other pharmacy staff with packaging and labelling of pharmaceutical products.
- May help in maintaining prescription records and inventories of medications and pharmaceutical products.
Sterile processing technicians
- Operate and maintain sterilization equipment such as sonic sinks, cart washers and steam autoclaves to clean and disinfect trays, carts, supplies, instrumentation and equipment for re-use according to standardized safety practices.
- Reassemble equipment and assemble packs of sterile supplies and instruments for delivery to hospital departments.
Blood donor clinic assistants
- Set up and dismantle equipment.
- Prepare and maintain cleanliness of collection areas.
- Maintain supplies.
- Monitor donors throughout procedure and assist with post-donation care and donor reaction care as assigned under the supervision of a registered nurse.
- Record information on donors.
- Label and process donated blood.
- Assist pathologists at autopsies by laying out surgical instruments.
- Prepare solutions for preservation of specimens.
- Transfer bodies from morgue to examining table.
- Remove organs and tissue specimens, as instructed by attending pathologist, and placing them in preservative solutions.
- Clean and sew up bodies for release to funeral home.
Examples of jobs under Health Services Support Worker (NOC Code 3414)
There are several job positions you can take in Canada as a health services support worker. More so, health services support workers bear different titles based on their specific job descriptions. They include:
- Activities coordinator – health support services
- Acupuncture assistant
- Autopsy assistant
- Blood donor clinic assistant
- Cast room technician
- Central service room worker – hospital
- Chiropractic aide
- Clinic assistant – medical
- Dispensary assistant
- Drugstore dispensing assistant
- Emergency room attendant
- Fracture room attendant
- Health aide
- Herbal medicine assistant
- Instrument sterilizer – medical
- Lens grinder-polisher setter
- Medical clinic assistant
- Morgue attendant
- Occupational therapy helper
- Ophthalmic goods antireflection (AR) coating technician
- Optical and ophthalmic goods lens picker
- Orthopedic technician
- Pharmacy supply assistant
- Physical therapy attendant
- Physiotherapy attendant
- Plaster room attendant
- Polishing pad mounter
- Post-mortem attendant
- Radiology aide
Exclusions for Health Services Support Worker in Canada
Notably, health services support workers does not cover the following job titles:
- Medical technologists and technicians- NOC code 321 (except dental health)
- Operating room technicians- NOC code 3233
- Other technical occupations in therapy and assessment – NOC code 3237
- Pathologists’ assistants- NOC code 3212
- Pharmacy clerks- NOC code 6421 (Retail salespersons)
- Other medical technologists and technicians NOC code 3219 (except dental health)
Employment requirements to immigrate to Canada as a health services support worker
To immigrate to Canada as a health services support worker, you need to meet the employment requirements. They include:
- Orthopedic technologists usually require completion of secondary school
and several months of on-the-job training or a college orthopedic technologist program.
- Registration with the Canadian Society of Orthopedic Technologist.
- Health care courses or short-term college programs related to the work of medical therapy assistants, such as recreational therapy programs, are available and may be required by employers.
- Pharmacy aides require completion of secondary school and several months of on-the-job training.
- Sterile processing technicians require completion of secondary school and a six- to nine- month sterile processing college program.
- Completion of secondary school and several months of on-the-job training are usually required for other assisting occupations in this unit group.
Immigrate to Canada as an Insulator
Requirements to immigrate to Canada as a health services support worker
In order to immigrate to Canada as a health services support workers, it is very important you meet the necessary requirements.
Immigration Refugee and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) necessitates that all prospective immigrants meet certain requirements before they can be qualified to live and work permanently in any province or territory.
For this reason, IRCC selects eligible applicants based on seven (7) factors, which will enable you to earn points in Canada’s Express Entry Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS). This include:
- Language requirements
- Age requirements
- Education requirements
- Arranged employment
- Work experience
- Your partner’s ability
There is usually a language requirement for all workers in Canada. Therefore, before you immigrate to Canada as a health services support worker, you must meet the language benchmark in reading, speaking, and writing.
Therefore, you must submit a test result from a recognized language center.
- International English Language Testing System (IELTS)
- Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL)
- Canadian Academic English Language assessment (CAEL)
- Test d’Evaluation de Français Canada (TEF)
- Test de Connaissance du Français Canada (TCF)
Another requirement for immigrants in Canada, especially workers, is the age requirement. Therefore, before you immigrate to Canada as a health services worker, you must be 18 years and above.
The least educational level to work in Canada as an immigrant is secondary school education.
Nevertheless, before you can immigrate to Canada as a worker, you must get your academic report from the Educational Credential Assessment (ECA).
Here, you need to have a valid job offer from a Canadian employer. This is one of the easiest ways to immigrate to Canada for work.
Therefore, as a health services support worker, you can get a job offer in Canada and use it to immigrate to Canada easily.
Before you can be permitted to immigrate to Canada as a health services support worker, you must be able to adapt to the Canadian weather condition and working culture.
You must provide proof of your medical fitness from a doctor approved by the Canadian government.
Work experience is another requirement to immigrate to Canada as a health services support worker. It is usually an advantage when you have an experience in the job.
Therefore, with enough work experience, you can immigrate to Canada as a health services support worker.
Your partner’s ability
In addition to the above mentioned criteria, your spouse’s work experience, skills, language proficiency as well as age can increase your CRS score.
Pathways to immigrate to Canada as a health services support workers
As a worker who wants to immigrate to Canada as a health services support workers, you can use any of the following programs. They include:
- Express entry
- Provincial Nominee Programs
- In-Demand occupations
- Job offer
You can use any of the three programs in the express entry system However, before you choose a particular program; you must make sure that you meet the requirements. The programs include:
Provincial Nominee Program
If you wish to live in a particular province in Canada, you can use the provincial program in that province. In order to use this program you must reach the eligibility criteria for the program.
With a valid job offer, you can immigrate to Canada as a health services support workers. However, there are requirements that you must meet.
Therefore, before applying for a job, try to know if you meet these requirements. In addition, your employer must be allowed to employ foreign workers by the LMIA.
You can as well use the in-demand jobs program to immigrate to Canada as a health services support workers.
There are jobs designated as in-demand jobs in Canada. Therefore, employers are allowed to use foreign workers to fill the gaps.
Steps to immigrate to Canada as a health services support worker
As a health services support workers , you can follow these steps for easy immigration to Canada.
Step 1: Create an express entry account
Generally, the first step is to open an express entry profile. If you are opening an account, you must use the correct information.
This will help you avoid problems in the future. To open an account, you must visit the IRCC official website.
Step 2: Enter a program
Secondly, you will have to select a program. You must be careful while doing this. If you choose the wrong program, your application might not be successful.
Therefore, make sure that you know the requirements before choosing a program. The programs under the express entry system include:
Step 3: Find a job in Canada
Thirdly, you can decide to apply for a job if you wish. Although it is not compulsory.
However, with a valid job offer, your application processing will be faster. It is very important you meet the requirement for the job.
Step 4: Receive an invitation to apply
Fourthly, you will receive an invitation to apply from the IRCC. Once you receive this invitation, you have only 60 days to reply. Therefore, you must keep every document ready.
Meanwhile, only qualified candidates will receive the invitation to apply.
Step 5: Submit your application with supporting documents
You need to submit your application along with the supporting documents. In addition, there will be a compulsory application fee of CAD $150 for your application.
Without any of these documents, your application will not be processed. Therefore, make sure that none of them including the application fee is missing.
Step 6: Get your work permit
The next step is to get your work permit. However, your permit will not be given to you until you arrive in Canada.
Therefore, once you receive a mail that your application has been processed, you all set to make the move to Canada.
Frequently Asked Questions
How much do health services support worker earn in Canada?
The national average salary for health services support worker is $43,677 per year in Canada.
How can I get a job in Canada as a foreigner?
Through employment agencies or job sites such as Indeed.ca, LinkedIn, Monster, Glassdoor, etc.
In conclusion, immigrating to Canada as a health services support worker is possible with or without a job offer.
Following the guidelines in this post will go a long way to help you in your immigration process. In addition, you can always visit the IRCC’s website for up-to-date information.