A Danish man has been charged in Norway for killing five and injuring two in a bow and arrow attack that has been treated as a possible act of terrorism.
Norwegian police in Kongsberg, a town 70 km west of the capital Oslo, said a 37-year-old Danish citizen was arrested Wednesday night and charged all night. They said there were no signs that someone else was involved.
Police said the man was a convert to Islam that had previously been reported to police for fear of intensification.
“It’s natural to think about whether it’s terrorism,” said local police chief Ole Saeverud Thursday morning. But it was too early to come to a conclusion, he added, and police remained open-minded about the suspect’s motives.
An arrested man living in Norway was reported to police several times in 2020 for fear of radicalization after his conversion to Islam. Police officers are following up every time, and no new complaints have been registered this year, Savelud said.
Norway has suffered several acts of terrorism by right-wing militants in recent years. In 2011, Labor Party youth camps and government buildings in Oslo killed 77 people. However, unlike Scandinavian neighbors Sweden and Denmark, 5.4 million countries have never experienced a deadly Islamic terrorist attack.
Police said four women and one man (all between the ages of 50 and 70) were killed and two were seriously injured, including an off-duty police officer.
Saeverud said police first witnessed the suspect within minutes of receiving the first call about the attack, but police officers lost contact with him. Some of the killings, and perhaps all of them, happened 30 minutes before police found him again. They arrested him after issuing a warning shot, Saveld added.
During the attack, the suspect moved several locations in the 28,000 university town, which is also home to Norway’s largest defense contractor, including the Co-op supermarket. Police said the man used bows and arrows as well as other weapons and worked with them in an overnight interview.
News of the attack was announced when Norway changed power on Thursday and center-left Labor leader Jonas Girl Store became prime minister.
“It’s horrifying to be revealed. It’s shocking to think about what people have experienced,” the store said on Thursday when he announced his new government, including two survivors of the 2011 attack. I said when I presented it.
Centre-right Prime Minister Erna Solberg said Wednesday night: These events shake us. I understand that many are afraid. That’s why it’s important to emphasize that the police are in control. “
Norwegian police temporarily ordered police to carry weapons nationwide after the attack on Wednesday night, but said there was no specific threat. Saveld said he was based on their prior knowledge of the case and the indicted man, based on their belief that he acted alone.
Danish man charged after five deaths in Norwegian bow and arrow attack
Source link Danish man charged after five deaths in Norwegian bow and arrow attack
The post Danish man charged after five deaths in Norwegian bow and arrow attack appeared first on Eminetra.